Thursday, June 16, 2011

Why lawmakers' ignorance matters

The other day I blogged on the apparent ignorance shown towards what is now basic technology infrastructure by members of a committee hearing in the current UK libel law reform case.

It appears that our lawmakers, possibly with similar knowledge of Internet infrastructure to those on the libel reform committee, have now allowed us to reach a stage where putting a link on a web site is an extraditable offence. I'm just going by what I've read in the media and cannot confirm any of the details. And the aforementioned article doesn't appear to mention What Law Has Actually Been Broken. But if true, I am slightly curious as to why the focus of the Powers That Be is on removing sites linking to the offending material rather than just removing that material from the sites hosting it. If I put a note on my web site saying "There's illegal stuff on the Internet and if you do a Google search for it you might find it", is that also illegal...?

No comments: